Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2014

My New Favorite Thing

So, I feel like a teenage fan girl. I've found this new blog and, guys, I can't get enough.

Patrick likes to tell me the story of how his little sister had a favorite teacher in elementary school. Every day she'd come home gushing about her new found favorite authority figure, repeating over and over, "Miss Shedd said..., Miss Shedd said...," as though no one on earth knew as much or was as wise as the revered Miss Shedd.

Well now Patrick gets to come home from work every day to me gushing, "Oh! Guess what I read on my new favorite blog today!!" or "So this is so cool, and I read it on that blog, ..." or "Listen to this. Blahblahblahblah...isn't that awesome?! (Oh, and I found it on my new blog...)" Poor guy. I'm sure glad he loves me.

Are you ready? Here it is. Long story short? I highly recommend it--if you are reading this blog post right now, there is a good chance you will love my new favorite blog, too.

I found Women in the Scriptures a few months ago in the middle of my (still continuing) period of research into the divine role and purpose of women--you know, in the eternal scheme of things. I know I've said before this isn't a scripture-y type blog, but since my faith is sort of a huge part of my identity and world view, it stands to reason that I might like this blog-- especially since it centers around women and references to wholly female experiences (like birth and motherhood) in the scriptures.

"Ruth," Brian Kershisnik

[As a side note, I could probably write a book about my opinions on the role of women in the world and in my church: believe me, I've started blog posts multiple times. I mean, there's feminism and it's multitudinous definitions, women's role in families, religion, or society, the recent push for more visibility and participation of women within the structure of the church, the recent call for women's ordination to the priesthood, etc.

Just know this: I have been thinking, and reading, and researching, and reading, and pondering, and reading some more for well over a year. I could probably present most any point of view rather convincingly. What do I think? Suffice it to say my more conservative friends would probably be shocked, and my more progressive friends would think I'm kind of a wimp. *shrug* In any case, my view of who I am and the role of women in the gospel has truly changed forever--in a good way. Someday I may write a little more.]

The blog, written by Heather Farrell, is from a Mormon perspective, so it does include works like the Book of Mormon that we consider scripture. However, since the vast majority of the women she's written on are in the Old and New Testaments, I think this blog would appeal to anyone, regardless of their faith, who is curious where women can be found when the vast majority of the world's religious and secular history seems to be dominated by men.

I have loved reading the stories of countless women who, though they lived in a time so different than ours, are so similar to us in so many ways. I love how thoroughly researched everything is, and I love the feeling of the way Heather writes--there is no agenda, there is no defensiveness, there is no pride; there is a simple feeling of light, love, and learning.

And to be honest, it's exactly what I've needed. I remember telling Patrick months ago that I needed a better way to spend my reading-while-nursing time. You know, instead of skimming through Facebook or Pinterest or browsing the sorta-inspirational-but-really-just-a-different-kind-of-judgmental mommy blogs. I needed something that, instead of just being a time filler, would be food for my brain and my spirit.

Thank you, Women in the Scriptures, for fitting that bill perfectly.

(Since this blog is my new, like, everything, I'll probably post more about some of the things I'm doing/changes I'm making/thoughts I'm thinking because of it later. Sooooo, to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...